Sunday 26 August 2007

Sad Times

I know, I know I have been a slack blogger this past week, however I had some really sad news last Monday and so I have been just pottering around the house mostly waiting...

I think I may have mentioned before a very good friend of mine who has been battling a rare form of cancer since her diagnosis back in February. Her prognosis wasn't very good from the start but she has been very brave and strong and really amazing through the whole process. I haven't actually seen her now for a month because she has been so sick and while I would go to visit her I never actually got to see her. Then last Monday I got the news I and everyone who knows her have been dreading. Things had taken a drastic turn for the worst and she wasn't expected to make it through another day.

It really knocks you for a six. Even though this has been inevitable from the start that old saying is always in the back of your head (where there's life there's hope) it has been so surreal and I suppose you never really believe it's going to happen. Not that it has happened, as she is such a strong women with such a strength of character that she has gone from not being able to communicate and slipping in and out of consciousness to being able to speak again.

Her boys aged 12 and 7 were told during the week that their mum wasn't coming home again and from what I've been told they have been wonderful. They have stayed in the hospital with her and played her music and told her stories and have been able to tell her how much they love her. Now she has the chance to tell them and say goodbye. Don't get me wrong those boys have known since they were born that they are loved and cherished beyond words. OMG it just breaks my heart and sometimes it's hard to know where to put all that emotion.
My heart goes out to her and her family at this awful awful time.

I and many others have spent the last week in a sort of Limbo really waiting for that dreaded call. It even makes me feel sick typing about it and tears are always there waiting to break free, and my oh my have they ever broken free alot this week.

You know it's probably a bit trite, but it's at times like these you tell yourself "Cease the Day", don't take things for granted. Especially not your health, your family and your friends. Make it all count, and tell the people who matter the most to you, that you Love Them.

Leeanne x

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Leeanne, she has put up a good fight, I am sitting hear in tears reading it as I know the journey that you have gone through. I think that this will be one of the hardest times for the family, and also poeple like yourself that have made the journey with her. All my thoughts are with you
Deb Ross

Anonymous said...

*tear*
So sad Leeanne. I'm teary just reading your blog and I have never even met your friend. She sounds like a lovely friend and mother. My thoughts are with you.
Amy x

Anonymous said...

My heart goes out your friend and her family and all of her very good friends, who are all going through a very sad time as well. I makes our life problems seem so trivial. My thoughts are with you.

Debbie

Megan said...

Leeanne this is such a sad post...I am so sorry you are going through this, and also immensely sorry for the family of your friend. What fabulous little boys she has got to be making each day a better one for her.

Megan xx

Anonymous said...

Leeanne, so sorry to hear of your friends illness.I know what you are going thru as my family has been there many times. Stay strong for her.My heart goes out to her children and family.
Nancy Stuart

Anonymous said...

Leeanne, how very sad and heartbreaking for everyone involved. Thinking of the family and you in this difficult time.

wendy treseder said...

You expressed that all so beautifully Leeanne, thank you. It's so awful and my heart just breaks for the family.
Wx

Anonymous said...

Hi babe, I'm sooooo sorry to hear the news about your friend. Although I don't know her, I remember Wendy sometimes talking to me about a friend of yours that had cancer too. It's just such a sad, dreadful, illness. I read this and felt sick too, also for myself, and all the women that go through this horrible disease. (I know there are men too) and I'm sorry for them, I'm sorry for anyone that has to deal with cancer, whether as a carer, friend, child, mother, sister, daughter, father and on and on it goes it truly affects everyone. Saying a prayer for you and your friend tonight. Take care of yourself and yes really 'be in the moment'. Love, hugs, sympathy Jx

Jody White said...

Leanne it is just so heartbreaking to read you post. It was very touching what you wrote. I couldnt begin to imagine what it would be like for her boys and her family and friends.

Live life to the fullest and treasure each day, something we should all live by.

My prayers go out to her.

Take care
Jody (hugs)