Monday 20 October 2008

Weekend happenings and old perms

Friday afternoon, after work Madeleine and I headed over to my girlfriends place for a beautiful afternoon tea, for her daughter Georgia's 11th birthday. After much snacking,cake eating and one glass of champagne (I was very good) we left there so I could get Madeleine to youth group for a 7pm start. I was very pleased when I got home and Neil said he would go and pick her up at 9pm instead of me having to got out again.
............................................................


Saturday Madeleine had netball of course and they had another win but neither Neil or I could make it. The property directly behind us was up for auction at 1pm and we went hoping we could afford to buy it. Unfortunately it went way over the asking price and they got $509,000 for it. Way to expensive for us but on the other hand its good news for the value of our house and land . So it's back to plan A for us, which is maybe to build on the back of our land. That's not going to happen anytime soon though.


Saturday night was actually a quiet night for us as Neil had to prepare for the round a bay in a day bike ride. 10's of thousands of riders participate in the event every year, it's an endurance ride of around 210kilometers.

...............................................................

Sunday Neil headed off at around 6.30am to ride down to Sorrento to catch the ferry across to Queenscliff and then back into the city, across the west gate bridge and back home again. Remarkably he looked pretty good when he arrived home just before 5pm. Tired of course, knees a bit stiff of course but none the less pretty good. His determination and will power once he decides to do something is one of things I've always admired him for, it's a pretty massive achievement and Madeleine and I are both proud of him.

Here's a couple of photos.

1. Self Portrait or rider Number 4933; He took this himself at 6am. Looks just a teeny bit bizzare with all that zinc cream on and not really that happy either. He takes being sun smart seriously.




















2. West gate bridge (I think)














.................................................................

Also on Sunday Lynne and I headed over to Debling Design for the breast cancer fundraising crop Deb had organized. We were only there a couple of hours (I needed to get home to ensure Neil had a nice home cooked meal after the ride) but we had a lovely time chatting with the girls, doing a bit of shopping. Deb did an amazing job with all the raffles, gift bags etc.. Not to mention the most beautiful lunch. Melt in your mouth roast beef, salads, rolls and baked potatoes, followed by fruit platter. It was also fantastic to catch up with Connie, who is currently on her own journey dealing with breast cancer. Good news for Connie is that after her last mammogram they couldn't even find a lump. She still has more treatment in front of her but it all looks pretty positive. Head on over to Connie's Blog if you would like to find out more of her story.

.....................................................

Back to Lynne for a moment, when I had lunch with her last Wednesday I gave her Twilight to read, which she did within a couple of days. I'm proud to say I have another person hooked on Bella and Edwards story and she's now onto book 2 New Moon.

......................................................


Yesterday I also finished sketch 106 from the Pencil Line blog. This week you also had the challenge of incorporating OLW (one little word) the word they chose was KEEP. The photo in the layout is of Madeleine and Laura after we'd been to the Royal Show and they brought the wigs, wings, horns and weapons to wear to Alex's 13 birthday party in November. They were having alot of fun hamming it up for the camera.


Layout: Keep it Fun
PP: reminince,ki lace, scalloped paper (I don't remember) Alpha: American Craft, Heidi Swapp Carollees Creations, MM. Emblishments: American Craft, Kaiser Bling, Jenny Bowlin bingo card and assorted buttons, versa mark ink.
























................................................................


I've just been over to Kim Archers blog and it made me quite nostalgic for the 80's. Kim has a class over at the Home website called "Do you remember. Alot of the girls have chosen to remember their perms. Come on admit it, YOU had a perm didn't you.

I had many many perms in my day, some not so bad as others but there were some shockers. I remember coming home from the hairdresser after they'd talked me into a spiral perm, and Neil telling me I looked like someone out of roots. Well as you can imagine I wasn't feeling to good about the DO after that.


When I was at the hairdressers and they were talking me into it, of course I'd never seen a spiral perm before and they were trying to explain it, they couldn't think of anything but I was young and naive and wanted to be cool so I said yes. Then at the basin as they were washing the perm solution out, the apprentice finally had an epiphany, and told me the it would look like Dee Schneider from Twisted Sister. Hello!!! talk about FREAK me out, but it was much to late by then.

I can't find a photo of that perm, but I do have one handy from our wedding in 1989. Not only do I have the perm and the high hair happening, it's also strawberry blonde. I loved my hair. You can't see it but iI was also a big big fan of BLUE mascara at the time. You've just gotta luv the 80's.

Kim runs the most fantastic online classes so do yourself a favour and head on over to her website here and join up.

Thanks Kim for sending me down memory lane on this one. Now I'll just have to hunt out some other golden oldies.


28th February 1989........ Awwwwww
















We haven't changed a bit.
.........................................................

Well I think that's about all for me today, till next time

happy scrapping

cheers

Leeanne xxx

3 comments:

Cherie said...

Well done to Madeline on her netball win...and a HUGE well done to your hubby Neil too...219km!!!!thats fantastic...


Love the layout...very cool and all the buttons look fantastic..

I too am doing Kims "do you remember class"... I had my hair permed when I was in about year 10 at school...I was just looking at photos!!! OMG...what were all thinking....but that was the fashion back then....I bet in 15 to 20 year I will look back of photos of myself now and say what was I thinking having the huge blond streak in the front of my hair!!!..

Have a great week
Cherie xx

Karen said...

I had my first perm in about grade 5! And both John and my hair was pernmed in our wedding photos - so very 80's - and you weren't the only one with the blue mascara.

Well done Neil - that's a huge ride.

helen karanfilovski said...

Very noice indeed!! It's been great sharing our perm stories - everyone seems to have had a drama while they were getting their's done - lol!!
The fumes - oh my - the fumes!!!
Helenxx